Gaming - thoughts and opinions

How would one (fully grown mammal) get into gaming?

Gamers, do you think your lives are enriched by gaming?

What do you learn from games?

Are there gaming clubs / conventions or is gaming a solitary pursuit?

Are gamers superior beings?

Any other thoughts...

Assuming you mean computer games... buy a computer/xbox/plastation/wii/other games machine and a game. Off you go.

It means I talk to friends around the country I probably wouldn't otherwise (Not big on phone calls!).

Not a lot! Good for imagination. I guess I've learnt about cars from driving games, weaponry (both modern and older) from war games, history (ag. Roman warfare from Total War series).

There are. Though I tend to play mates online.

Erm, nope. Nor inferior.

Any other thoughts...

Nope.

I'm 24 Years old, A student and work part time at a pizzeria, but still find time to play games 1-2 hours a day.

So allow me to answer each of your questions

"Gamers, do you think your lives are enriched by gaming"

Yes games do enrich my life. How ? First thing that comes to mind is because I play games I met a lot of foreigners. 2 of my best friends are from France actually, and the last 3 summers I was able to go to France and visit Paris and Marseille because both of them offered to receive me as a guest without having to pay for room and food.

Another bonus is that i can practice german and french every time i speak with my friend in games.

"What do you learn from games?"

Depends a lot on what types of games do you play. There are a lot of games that teach u History.(Check all the WW games out there).

Also a lot of games out there are proved to drastically increase your decision making time under pressure. And as stated above they can really help you with a foreign language.

"Are there gaming clubs / conventions or is gaming a solitary pursuit"

Again depends on the game. There are games that you can play all alone and there are games that have communities of millions of players. There are games that force u to interact with others.

"Are gamers superior beings?"

I really don't understand the point of this question except maybe as a mean hidden jab for gamers.

In conclusion gaming is just that... a way to spend free time. Exactly like watching a movie on TV or reading a book.

Edited by Tudor

Actually yes we have better hand/eye coordination.

You can't.

It's one of these "Obelix the Gaul" things, you must have fallen into the cauldron when you were really very young, or it's just not going to work :D

Joke aside, read my bottom answer - then ponder this: I have been playing (video-) games for nigh-on 35 years, but these days, as a mature gamer, I get a lot more satisfaction from tinkering with hardware (arcade cabs, in my case) and restoring/looking after it (involving all of learning electronics, woodworking, painting, etc, etc.) than playing games as such.

So, it's gaming, Jim...but not as you know (or perhaps 'understand') it ;)

Absolutely. Personally and professionally. Like any other hobby if you're into it "enough", I suppose.

Well, in my case...aside from a quasi-encyclopaedic knowledge about gaming :D, pretty much all I learned (and keep learning) in terms of audio-video, information technology, networking, image processing, electronics (in the 'soldering iron' sense), etc, etc. over the years, at some stage or other. The list is not quite endless...but mightily long let me tell you ;)

Both, and for 'clubs/conventions', read both 'physical' and 'virtual'.

How gregarious or solitary a pastime, is entirely up to you.

Any other thoughts...
You must first find out for yourself what types of games you enjoy most, and whether it is gaming you would enjoy, or activities 'surrounding' or 'associated with' gaming (e.g. tinkering with hardware, collecting, ...)

Through the influence of another fully grown mammal playing something that looked like a lot of fun.

Yes, if I don't get to shoot people online and get abusive messages from them every few days I get all withdrawy.

That everyone else is crud and I am the best.

I sometimes play solitary but it's much more fun playing with friends/family online.

Only the good ones.

Any other thoughts...

No...

Pick a game and start playing, that's how you get into gaming, if you dont like the game you have picked, then try another one, from a different genre, and keep doing that till you find a game you like, then you can try more from the same genre!!! :)

Has my life been enriched by gaming, I would say that yes, it has, I have made so many friends through gaming, and I don't just mean friends online, people who I have since gone on to meet in real life and are now really good friends!

"what do you learn from games" well, it all depends on the game, an d the type of game, there are lots that allow you to practice working as a team, there are others that let you practice strategy and thinking.. So it really depends..

There are sort of 'conventions' especially for PC gaming, I have just got back from one this weekend, google for "LAN Party" and you'll see, there's one in Sheffield this coming weekend too that I should be going to.

And no, gamers are just people too, nothing superior about them!! :)

Gaming is not an age thing. It's something you will either find fun or you won't. I have played games my entire life (both of the video and tabletop variety) and I have no intention of stopping now. I preference retro and skill based games (fighting games is my game of choice) rather than the films where you press buttons that seem to be popular now.

Bottom line is, you won't know if you don't give it a try.

Played a lot when younger, up till about 19/20yrs old, but personally think it's a bit strange adults playing video games.

Played a lot when younger, up till about 19/20yrs old, but personally think it's a bit strange adults playing video games.

Why is it strange? Im 43, have been playing video games most of my life. I see no difference in playing a game, reading a book, going to cinema or going down the pub. Its just stuff you do in your spare time when not at work.

Actually yes we have better hand/eye coordination.

But also no, because you could have done something else with that time and had another skill.

Not superior, it's just a choice.

---------- Post added 27-07-2013 at 09:30 ----------

That makes about as much sense as saying that adults playing football is a bit strange.

You play simple games first like minesweeper, Tetris, words with friends etc. and gradually build up to more complex stuff.

Absolutely, gaming exercises your brain, your hand-eye co-ordination, relaxes you, scares you, thrills you.

I learnt a load of history just by playing through civilisation. I learnt touch typing with typing of the dead. I learn new words playing scrabble.

I play most games with family and friends. Multiplayer games are king.

Of course.

Any other thoughts...

Like everything, game in moderation as part of a healthy, balanced lifestyle to enjoy it fully.