Sheffield Slings (and other things!)

We are a friendly group of Sheffield parents who have been brought together through our love of carrying our children in slings. We have a group and page on Facebook, plus a website and blog, we would love you to come and see us and say hello!

Find us on Twitter and Pinterest too and look out for us at events across the city.

Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/sheffieldslings

Twitter: @sheffieldslings

Pinterest: Sheffield Slings

Can't wait to have my baby in his slings and come and meet you all in the flesh only 12 weeks left !

Yay! Feel free to dive right in and come along to our meet ups! We're a friendly bunch and love meeting new faces! :)

Ooh yes please do come along before bump arrives, would be lovely to meet you, eat cake chat and talk slings :)

We will still be having meet ups over the summer, as per normal, so please feel free to come! Many of the Mums in our group have school aged children, so please feel free to bring them along too.

Dads are also very welcome too! We have several dads on our Facebook group. :)

You may be able to help me.

I am not a mum who loves to carry her child in a sling I think it will become a necessity as it is hard carrying a baby round in arms whilst pushing a pram and shopping :hihi:

I have been given a two position carrier which I have tested out facing inwards with my four week old but the little bug hates it as he cant see anything to the side of him for the straps. I can't see what else I can do as it seems that anything that will support his head will obstruct his view.

:help:

Just looking at Balboa adjustable sling. Can anyone recommend?

I just googled that sling, personally I would not go for it as I don't think you will get much use out of it and it does not look terribly safe.

Where in Sheffield are you? There is a sling library in Chesterfield where you can hire slings.

Or you could come along when we meet to see what there is.

There are so many different slings out nowadays and some work better for one person than others.

What do you have at the moment?

I know what you mean about the strap being annoying, my little one is the same.

You may be able to help me.

I am not a mum who loves to carry her child in a sling I think it will become a necessity as it is hard carrying a baby round in arms whilst pushing a pram and shopping :hihi:

I have been given a two position carrier which I have tested out facing inwards with my four week old but the little bug hates it as he cant see anything to the side of him for the straps. I can't see what else I can do as it seems that anything that will support his head will obstruct his view.

:help:

To be honest, not many babies would enjoy facing outwards, especially at a young age. Their spines and head muscles aren't fully developed enough to hold their weight. The other thing to keep in mind is that babies cannot handle the impact of over stimulation when facing forward (don't get me wrong, it's great fun to start off with, but when they are ready to switch off, it's hard, given they cannot snuggle back into Mum's body).

Just googled balboa sling -but that elastic trim means baby is constricted within the sling, which could affect healthy airflow and possibly force baby's head too close to chest, which could be risky. I'd definitely recommend a regular cotton ring sling - which is worn the same way as balboa, but provides a lot more ventilation, and baby can be worn upright too. Stretchy wrap slings are fab too for young babies. They take a bit of practise to put on, but it's no harder than tying your shoelaces in terms of difficulty.

Feel free to come to one of our meets and ask plenty of questions if you're interested though - we have a blog - http://www.sheffieldslings.com and we have a social page on Facebook. Our community is all inclusive and very supportive. No question deemed to silly, so feel free to dive right in! :)

Hi, if I was able to make it to the group some time soon (my baby was born on wednesday) would you have anybody there experienced in feeding the baby in a wrap? I have a Moby wrap and used it with my last baby but never got to grips with feeding in it and as I have a two and half year old, a sixteen month old and now a 4 day old I could really do to be able to master this.

I tried the carrier I have again and he didn't mind it but my shoulders ached afterwards! You sling mummies must be strong when you are carrying the older ones :)

Luckily for me he has settled alot so it might be just an occasional thing now (cold days walking down to school :hihi:) although I did like the idea x

Hi, if I was able to make it to the group some time soon (my baby was born on wednesday) would you have anybody there experienced in feeding the baby in a wrap? I have a Moby wrap and used it with my last baby but never got to grips with feeding in it and as I have a two and half year old, a sixteen month old and now a 4 day old I could really do to be able to master this.

Hello! We would love to see you, come and join our fb group for lots more input and details of meets... and warm congratulations to you on your new one!! Yes, many mums do feed in a sling. Some types you can do that with are stretchies like Kari me, or Moby, as you've tried, or ring slings, or some more structured carriers like connecta are also good. We'd be happy to help. There is a great sling library in chesterfield, the Sheffield one is closed for the moment.. Look fwd to meeting you!