Sign in to follow this  

Kitchener Stitch

Arrgghh! The dreaded Kitchener Stitch! It's used for joining together two sets of 'live' stitches (ie. stitches still on the needle), to produce a beautiful, seamless join. That's the idea anyway...

Most frequently, it's used to close up the gap when you've finished shaping the toe of your sock. You've carried out the decreasing, as indicated in your pattern, and you're left with 12 - 16 (sometimes more) stitches, divided evenly between two needles. You have a long length of still-attached working yarn threaded onto a tapestry needle (or one of the thicker blunt-nosed needles specially designed for knitters). Now what?...

The first thing I suggest, before you attempt it on the sock you've just spent ages finishing, is to practice on a small swatch. Take a pair of the same needles you've used for your socks and cast on about 20 stitches. It must be an even number. Knit a couple of inches in stocking stitch, then cut off the working yarn leaving about 18 inches onto which you'll thread your tapestry needle. Then carefully transfer half of the stitches onto the second needle, so that the swatch is effectively folded in half, wrong sides facing. It'll look like you've got a mini sock toe, which you can practice on.

There are lots of written instructions about the Kitchener Stitch on the net, and I printed out reams of the stuff. My advice is to ignore it all (apart from this, of course!). The one thing you'll need is the free video on how to do Kitchener Stitch from Knitting at Knoon. You can download it onto your computer (right click on the link to the video on the Knoon page and select 'save as') and watch it over and over... and believe me, you will. It took my ages to learn how to do it, even with the excellent video, and even after completing a few pairs of socks I still need to watch the video and have a good stiff drink before attempting it (not to put you off, of course :) ).

If you haven't attempted Kitchener Stitch before, this will mean nothing to you (yet), but I find that saying the following to myself as I'm working the stitch really helps to keep me on track:

Set up (done once):

FRONT - Purl

BACK - Knit

Kitchener:

FRONT - Knit - off - Purl

BACK - Purl - off - Knit

Yes, I know it sounds like nonsense, but it should make sense when you've watched the video a couple of times.

If anyone has any other tips on how to cope with the dreaded Kitchener Stitch, then of course post them in this thread.

For those who want to read about how to do Kitchener stitch, here's a link to an article about it in Knitty. It was one of the best I found, though I still think the stitch doesn't make much sense (even with the excellent photos in the article), until you've seen the video I mentioned in the post above.

Thanks for that Hecate - this is my task of the evening now the sock is done:S

LisaH xxx

Thanks for that Hecate - this is my task of the evening now the sock is done:S

LisaH xxx

Good luck. Don't forget the stiff drink ;) .

I survived without the stiff drink;) Wasnt as bad as I expected:D

LisaH xxx

I survived without the stiff drink;) Wasnt as bad as I expected:D

LisaH xxx

Well done matey :D . You're obviously a natural. I think I must have a mental block when it comes to that stitch. It just instills the fear of God into me for some reason. I always have at least one mistake I have to back track on. Give me your address; I'll send the Jaywalkers I'm working on to you to Kitchener ;) .

Well done matey :D . You're obviously a natural. I think I must have a mental block when it comes to that stitch. It just instills the fear of God into me for some reason. I always have at least one mistake I have to back track on. Give me your address; I'll send the Jaywalkers I'm working on to you to Kitchener ;) .

You had best not - I might just keep them:P

LisaH xxx

Hey just finished my first sock!!! kitchenered as well.

My 17 year old daughter is well pleased with it. Doubt I'll get it back .....

could be for the best. I could use this as bribery :o maybe the hoover will be put around after all whilst I'm at work tomorrow!

Hey just finished my first sock!!! kitchenered as well.

My 17 year old daughter is well pleased with it. Doubt I'll get it back .....

could be for the best. I could use this as bribery :o maybe the hoover will be put around after all whilst I'm at work tomorrow!

Fantastic! Maybe it's just me who has the dreadful mental block when it comes to the Kitchener stitch? It still fills me with dread every time I approach the end of a sock. I must admit to a feeling of immense satisfaction when it's done. It does look great to see that seamless finish. :)

I hope you intend to post a photo of the finished sock, or the pair when they're both done... :D .

Sorry Hecate, I don't have the technology (no camera - nothing to do with the computer) and anyway you'd only laugh yourself into hysteria:lol:

I would like to say how grateful I am for your thread on dpns and please don't stop because we've only got to the heel flap and I need to know where I went wrong!! You are all an inspiration with your work.