View Full Version : How to tell a beggar to clear off?

Pages : [1] 2

artstower
31-03-2006, 23:51
With the plague of scrungers in the city asking for money, what is the most effective way to decline giving them cash? :huh:

SHsheff
31-03-2006, 23:55
Just mutter 'no thanks' as you walk past? Or say nothing? :confused:

hagardriley
01-04-2006, 00:13
With the plague of scrungers in the city asking for money, what is the most effective way to decline giving them cash? :huh:

Just tell them that you were about to ask them the same. :surprised :surprised

MISSNOVAK
01-04-2006, 00:47
my husband tells them to sod off and get a job.when you think about it they have probably got more dosh than us.

waterfall
01-04-2006, 01:08
:hihi: just tell them to **** off and call them a ****ty ****ing little tramp and then they mite leave ya alone i use this quite often if im approached by beggers.:cool: :hihi:

rothschild
01-04-2006, 01:12
Don't go into the city then you won't see them!

banjopaul99
01-04-2006, 07:21
I Tell Them To Go And Sell The Big Issue Like All The Other Homeless People

fozzybronze
01-04-2006, 07:26
If you don't want to give money. Don't. Whenever I've given anything, its usually been food...packet of biscuits/sandwich etc.

I usually TBH try and catch their eye before they approach me, smile and give them an "Alright mate", "morning..." or whatever seems appropriate...

I have always been greeted with at least a courteous smile back, and I am never hassled for money.

The worst offenders are those that sit by cash points...I do not appreciate people trying to shame anyone into giving money.

JoeP
01-04-2006, 08:12
I've always tended to look them in the eye when they've asked me for change and say 'I'm sorry, no I haven't'.

When I have given anything it's more likely nowadays to be food or drink.

Big Issue sellers, unless I want a copy it's a 'No thanks!' - the same I'd say to anyone trying to sell me something I don't wnat or need.

Joe

scarby
01-04-2006, 09:02
I just look the other way and pretend i didn't hear them.

Greybeard
01-04-2006, 11:34

Give 'em a banana instead ? :hihi:

Joanl
01-04-2006, 12:29
I usually say, "sorry love, I'm struggling a bit myself at the moment".
I do occasionally buy a "Big Issue" but give them the cash and tell em to sell it on.

brooksy
01-04-2006, 12:49
Clear off.:loopy: :loopy:

Bartfarst
01-04-2006, 12:56
Big Issue sellers, unless I want a copy it's a 'No thanks!' - the same I'd say to anyone trying to sell me something I don't wnat or need.

Some of the Big issue sellers are very pushy - I respond with 'It might be a big issue to you, but I don't give a sh#t'

Tends to have the desired effect.

rad
01-04-2006, 13:06
And some of the Big Issue sellers are really nice and polite, even if you don't buy one. I usually buy a BI but only one, so if I have it I'll just say 'I've got that one, sorry'. For beggars (as opposed to BI sellers doing a job) I'll usually get them something to eat or drink if there's a place nearby.

coolwill2k
01-04-2006, 13:32
i just ask them.. "why would i GIVE you my hard earned money ?" seem to get no reply most of the time.

upinwath
01-04-2006, 14:33
I tell them my business has gone bust, my wife and kids have left and I am just about to loose the house.
Shuts the buggers up :D

slimsid2000
01-04-2006, 15:29
I always find giving them a hundred pounds is quite an effective way of shutting them up.

hacker
01-04-2006, 15:52
Why are most people in this thread so freakin rude? Just say 'No, thanks' or 'I'm afraid I can't' and walk on if you don't want to give them anything.
While some beggars might not be genuine, there are some people who really are homeless and down on their luck. They don't need people dissing them too.

marinedrift
01-04-2006, 15:56
set them on fire

Draggletail
01-04-2006, 16:01
Beggar off? :D

In truth, I just avoid eye contact, shake my head and mutter 'sorry, mate'

Bartfarst
01-04-2006, 16:06
Why are most people in this thread so freakin rude? Just say 'No, thanks' or 'I'm afraid I can't' and walk on if you don't want to give them anything.
While some beggars might not be genuine, there are some people who really are homeless and down on their luck. They don't need people dissing them too.

Being homeless and down on their luck isn't reason for them to pester others who are going about their business, and don't want hassle from down and outs.

Twiglet
01-04-2006, 16:22
You obviously haven't come across the beggars on Division Street. I have nothing against homeless people who sit on the street and beg or sell the Big Issue.

These beggars are NOT homeless, are extremely rude and aggressive when you say no, and have even stooped so low as to obtain Big Issue tabards and claim they are sellers but only have one issue left which they don't want to give you but please could you 'spare some change' anyway. I've had one hassle me at a cash point when I was alone and it was dark, and he just wouldn't take no for an answer.

People on this thread aren't rude, they aren't talking about the genuine homeless. They're just people who have had to learn to live with this harassment every time they leave their front door.

Swan_Vesta
01-04-2006, 16:32
I normally just say "No thanks" or "Sorry mate, got no change" If they leave it at that then all's fine and dandy if they get abusive then a "Eff off or I'll open your face up" works a treat :D

Like any other strata of society, beggars can be nice and polite or they can be downright abusive and threatening.

burnttoast
01-04-2006, 16:38
Simple , Just tell them you know where they can find a job.;) You won't see their a**e for dust.:hihi:

hacker
01-04-2006, 17:37
You obviously haven't come across the beggars on Division Street. I have nothing against homeless people who sit on the street and beg or sell the Big Issue.

These beggars are NOT homeless, are extremely rude and aggressive when you say no, and have even stooped so low as to obtain Big Issue tabards and claim they are sellers but only have one issue left which they don't want to give you but please could you 'spare some change' anyway. I've had one hassle me at a cash point when I was alone and it was dark, and he just wouldn't take no for an answer.

People on this thread aren't rude, they aren't talking about the genuine homeless. They're just people who have had to learn to live with this harassment every time they leave their front door.

Harassment 'every time they leave their front door?!' Get a grip! Like everyone else in Sheffield I've been asked for money. I almost always refuse politely, but I have never once, in 14 years living here, been harassed.
If you actually read my post I say not all beggars are fake, some may be on Division Street, I don't really know, short of following them 'home' to see. But if you suggest there are actually some genuine homeless then surely they deserve some common decency at least.
As for the people on this thread not being rude, one actually went so far as to suggest setting fire to beggars! I would like to think s/he was joking, but it was in very poor taste, and I have yet to see anyone else admonish him/her for the comment.

Twiglet
01-04-2006, 17:44
Harassment 'every time they leave their front door?!' Get a grip! Like everyone else in Sheffield I've been asked for money. I almost always refuse politely, but I have never once, in 14 years living here, been harassed.
If you actually read my post I say not all beggars are fake, some may be on Division Street, I don't really know, short of following them 'home' to see. But if you suggest there are actually some genuine homeless then surely they deserve some common decency at least.
As for the people on this thread not being rude, one actually went so far as to suggest setting fire to beggars! I would like to think s/he was joking, but it was in very poor taste, and I have yet to see anyone else admonish him/her for the comment.

Sorry I missed the fire setting comment, that is uncalled for whether the beggars are genuine or not. But yes, every time I went out. I lived on Division Street, which would explain it. I would call it harassment because it didn't matter if I said no, I'd be asked again. Several times I was sworn at and called names just for ignoring them. And, as I said, was very intimidated by them at a cash machine when they relentlessly pestered me despite me saying no politely, because there was no one else around.

hacker
01-04-2006, 17:52
Sorry I missed the fire setting comment, that is uncalled for whether the beggars are genuine or not. But yes, every time I went out. I lived on Division Street, which would explain it. I would call it harassment because it didn't matter if I said no, I'd be asked again. Several times I was sworn at and called names just for ignoring them. And, as I said, was very intimidated by them at a cash machine when they relentlessly pestered me despite me saying no politely, because there was no one else around.

Fair enough. If you lived on Division Street and got it every day I can see how you would have a different perspective, especially if you are being hassled at cashpoints. Even more so if you are female.

I'm a bloke, which means that would be much less likely to happen to me. But your experience would not be common. Beggars are not on every street corner in Sheffield and I feel people do go a little over the top.

spud
01-04-2006, 18:06
say nowt and keep walking

Draggletail
01-04-2006, 18:09
...... if they get abusive then a "Eff off or I'll open your face up" works a treat :D

I must say, I'd have felt a bit reticent to say that to some of the murderous looking buggers that used to congregate outside Hunters Bar spar/lateshopper Swan_Vesta :roll:

Gerry
01-04-2006, 19:24
Just give 'em a quid and wish 'em good luck.

Swan_Vesta
01-04-2006, 19:57
I must say, I'd have felt a bit reticent to say that to some of the murderous looking buggers that used to congregate outside Hunters Bar spar/lateshopper Swan_Vesta :roll:

It's the curse of being large of body, bigger of mouth and very small of brain: Mass x over confidence and an inability to shut ones yap x limited brain capacity = ocassionally getting into a spot of bother :blush:

sugarnspice
01-04-2006, 19:59
Beggar off?

Sheffair1
01-04-2006, 20:01
set them on fire

LoL...fantastic !! .... living in town, i find i suffer beggar fatigue quite badly. Once gave a beggar about 4p in change..he threw it back saying it was not enough. Little scrounging sh*ts.

artstower
01-04-2006, 20:06
OK.
Keep 'em coming folks!
In the mean time can anyone lend me a quid for a cup of tea?
No? Well f**k off then you bunch of selfish bast**ds! :mrgreen:

burny
01-04-2006, 20:08
Most of the people who beg in Sheffield aren't homeless !

gnomi
01-04-2006, 20:30
Most of the people who beg in Sheffield aren't homeless !
how on earth do you know that??????

artstower
01-04-2006, 20:36
Burny knows because Burny is one of them! :hihi:

Sorry Burny. I fully retract my statement!
(because you liked my previous post!)

quacked_out
01-04-2006, 23:29
Pull out a gun and shoot them in the head.

All homeless people should be culled!

Ok... less of the despotism...
I usually just mumble "Sorry, I don't have any" and walk by quickly.

I can appreciate why people get so fed up of beggars, though. Most days I get asked for money by someone. I just want to say "Get a job!".
And statistically 4 out of 5 beggards aren't homeless. You are advised not to give money to homeless people, as usually it is someone just pretending, and even if they are genuinely homeless giving them money just exacerbates their situation. You are not helping them by giving them money.

I also donate money to 'Shelter' every month, where I am sure that my hard-earned cash is going to help people in genuine need.

davebott
01-04-2006, 23:38
A swift kick to the nuts often works.

coolwill2k
02-04-2006, 11:00
Giving money to beggars is just fueling drug and alcohol addiction. Personally I have NO time at all for beggars. There are plenty of places out there to help them. if they REALLY wanted to they could get out there and make themselves presentable and get help/job. Its not worth it for them though, as they probably get more money begging as they would in a low paid job. DO NOT GIVE MONEY TO BEGGARS. (Street performers are slightly different although i rarely give to them) YOU ARE MAKING THEIR SITUATION WORSE!!!

coolwill2k
02-04-2006, 11:00
Cruelty By Kindness!!!!!!

saxon51
02-04-2006, 11:03
"Do you take plastic?"

StarSparkle
02-04-2006, 14:32
It seems to me there's a hell of a lot of trolls on this thread who want culling.

Haven't any of you people got a conscience? I hope you never fall on hard times..... I'd say just be thankful it isn't you who's homeless.

StarSparkle

eighty4
02-04-2006, 14:41
a big issue seller got really ****** off with me once, he said the usual

big issue..........help the homeless help themselves

and i said no at the wrong moment i meant to say it when he said big issue but i said it when he said help the homeless help themselves lol

help the homeless help themselves.....NO ! lol so funny

quacked_out
02-04-2006, 15:33
Haven't any of you people got a conscience? I hope you never fall on hard times..... I'd say just be thankful it isn't you who's homeless.

Don't get your knickers in a twist. I wouldn't really go out there and shoot them.

I don't have a gun.

I think what myself, and others, are implying is that we get so hacked off with people asking us for money that we feel like taking drastic measures to get rid of the problem. Don't you ever feel like you could just hit someone, like your boss at work, or your partner when s/he does something to really p*** you off?

Seriously, I see the homeless as the detritus of society. There are places out there they could go to try and sort their situation out, and it may be difficult for them, I know, but it is either that, or stay living on the streets, and as long as people keep giving them money it is easier for them to stay where they are. A homeless person can easily make £100 a day by begging in a busy urban area. Maybe not so much on a weekday, but then they don't pay rent or bills, either.

And, to be honest, it's not the homeless ones that really irritate me. Usually, they ask "Can you spare any change for the homeless, please?" and when I say "No, I don't have any" they usually say, "Have a good day."
The ones that irritate me are the scroungers who are clearly not homeless, just in for an easy ride. When they ask you for money they are intimidating, and when you say "No" they tell you to turn out your pockets so they can check that you don't have money. The cheek of it! My attitude towards homeless people is somewhat coloured by these people, because how do you know who is genuine or who is fake? And when you feel threatened by them, you just want to get away from them as quickly as possible, in case you get mugged.

That's why I donate money to Shelter instead. There's my compassion. I send my money where it is going to help people in real need, and homeless people who actually want to do something about their situation.

And, fyi, I have been homeless, thank you.

saxon51
02-04-2006, 15:49
It seems to me there's a hell of a lot of trolls on this thread who want culling.

StarSparkle

If I'm one of those trolls. please realise that I was responding seriously.

The question was How to tell a beggar to clear off? , my response was "Do you take plastic?", as opposed to "P*ss off!!"

The proven homeless would get a more helpful response.:)

PeteC
02-04-2006, 16:16
i stopped giving a ****e about them the day i gave £10 to a woman in a wheelchair - she packed it up and sped off ina merc, i got the number plate and she was charged with deception.

I did however once take a girl in who i knew vaguly - gave her a home and food - you know the basics we allhave around us right now.. for about 3 years she lived with me, never did anything happen between us, and i was single at the time. She used to clean the house - do the shopping, kind of likea housewife but without the status. all her choice i never asked her to do anything but she felt it was her way of earning her keep. She got a job working as a admin assistant with a local radio station.. i got a visit about 6 years later from her, £50,000 a year salary, gorgeous car - she is now the head of programming

Her way of thanking me? £20,000 into my childs trust fund ( and she fixed my roof which i couldn't afford to do just yet , i am man enough to admit i cried infront of her - was the nicest thing anyone had ever done.. i never expected or wanted payment - knowing she got herself sorted was enough for me

So there are lots of bad - but some good who genuinly want a chance at making it themselves.

Bago
06-04-2006, 16:14
Don't get your knickers in a twist. I wouldn't really go out there and shoot them. I don't have a gun.

I think what myself, and others, are implying is that we get so hacked off with people asking us for money that we feel like taking drastic measures to get rid of the problem. Don't you ever feel like you could just hit someone, like your boss at work, or your partner when s/he does something to really p*** you off ?

I'm with the same camp as Starsparkle. I think the words said here about burning people is quite harsh.

Nope. If I was in that situation, I'd either 1) change my job, or 2) separate from my partner. I would try and walk away before I do damage to that person myself. If I had a problem with a particular person, I'd SAY so to their face. Or I play sports til it tires me out, or even ignore that person. If not, then try to find other ways to deal with the situation.

A friend who is trying to become a social worker said this to me. "May, you can choose how to react and behave."

It is so true. Obviously, some of you choose to be angst by these people, then you need to assess whether you have your own 'issues' to deal with. Don't portray and spread your cynicism around and let out your angst to the homeless and the poor. It's also down to you to judge and know whether one homeless is indeed a real one than the other. Nobody forces you to do anything, or to shame you into giving. If you don't want to, just say 'no'. Don't be a git about it.

nick2
06-04-2006, 16:30
I just ignore them or say I've no money, I dont' see any point in being rude for the sake of it, especially to Big Issue sellers.

metalman
06-04-2006, 17:53
I believe the standard reply is, "Unhand me, you bearded loon".

Whatif wewin
06-04-2006, 18:04
It is a worry though as most people would like to help in the case of genuine hardship. The trouble is that so many stories of shyster beggers makes me wary of giving any cash. Once when I offered food the "beggar" swore at me!

coolwill2k
06-04-2006, 18:49
What a load of rubbish! how can you say we 'trolls' are heartless or wotever.. basically.. i dont like people asking me for money.. but everyone does it! probably 5 times a day.. whether it be in a shop and ive bought something.. i give the shop the money as i have got something in return (my goods). etc etc.. or when i pay for a parking ticket, the meter asks me for money... but..

What do i get from giving money to homeless ? What do i actually see ? If one came up to me with a half decent reason, or actually something i though.. **** that guy is talented.. then fine theres a reason for me to give them MY hard earned cash...

But why should we feel it necessary to give our money to them ? They have done nothing for me and probably wont. It may be a selfish attitude but its a dog eat dog world. Im on a budget! I dont want to think when im out.. ok i wont have another drink cus its expensive.. etc... to then think.. oh well if i hadnmt have given my money to that tramp i could afford it!

I'm sorry but i work hard to ensure my money goes as far as it can.. but theres no space in my budget plan for 'beggars'.

This is not to say i am against giving. I own several farm animals in Romania which i bought for a charity setting up a home for the street children. I give to charities.

I DO NOT HAVE TO FEEL BAD BECAUSE I DONT GIVE TO A BEGGAR AT A CASH MACHINE! or a guy outside Tesco with more expensive shoes on than me!
I think that i wouldnt get in that position, but even if i was (or.. if i was stupid enough to get on that slippery slope), i can honestly say that i have the right friendship network who would ensure that i wasnt in it for long!

These people need to get off their arses and actually go and FIND some help. Its too easy for them though.. £8 per hour begging lets say... 12 hours.. = £100 (TAX FREE!!! THATS ANOTHER THING - DONT GET ME STARTED)
= £700 a week... £36,400 a year!! TAX FREE! -
Anyway i hope i have made my point. Also, the people who give to these... urm 'sort' are actually making the problem worse and fueling their drug and alcohol addictions - you should be ashamed of yourselves.

Anyway. RANT OVER.

Bago
06-04-2006, 21:19
Sorry mate, you need to go out there and BE homeless and learn the harsh reality of the world. Even better, go and be homeless in London. People may or my not kick the crap out of you. Then let's see if you think a typical person who is homeless would bring in 36k a year... Giving money is silly, buying ppl food or offering a drink is better.

How to tell a beggar to clear off ?
Be polite about it, and a 'no thank you' would do.
Why ?

1) If it's a fake person, then you've at least kept your cool, and honesty. It's even better if you look them in the eye too. Nothing to be ashamed of, and you can tell if someone is lying or not. I've come across women using their babies to beg in the London underground before and I still say 'no' to them. Because I know what is what, I don't feel bad about it.

2) If it's a real genuine homeless person, you've just made their day by being 'polite' and respectful, at the very least. Maybe it will give them hope to realise that not everyone is 'out to get them' or that, there are genuine people in this world. Being on the street prob make u cynical or paranoid, so a polite 'no', does a world of good.

Anyway, this thread is not a justification about who does more charity work or donation. The OP was asking how to deal with beggars who approaches him/her. A polite 'no' would kill two birds with one stone. The ones that are angst at you cos be because you gave them attitude too.

Zebra
06-04-2006, 21:33
I used to be harrassed a lot back in the days when I was a smoker and I've never been keen on beggars, some of whom have been very aggressive with me to try and bully me. One fella chased me around Fargate when I was about 19, shouting at me and grabbing at my clothes and bag and then went for me every time he saw me from that day forward. I actually saw him die outside the Sheaf Market not long after having a go at me again. I think he had a heart attack. Despite his poor state I was relieved.
Anyway, my response to the question 'Smoke love?' (as in gimme a smoke) was 'YES PLEASE!' Funnily enough, they always left me alone after that.
When a Big Issue seller appraoches me I generally say 'no thanks' and leave it at that, a friend of mine used to sell it and I saw how he lived.

Bago
06-04-2006, 21:56
I used to be harrassed a lot back in the days when I was a smoker and I've never been keen on beggars, some of whom have been very aggressive with me to try and bully me. One fella chased me around Fargate when I was about 19, shouting at me and grabbing at my clothes and bag and then went for me every time he saw me from that day forward. I actually saw him die outside the Sheaf Market not long after having a go at me again. I think he had a heart attack. Despite his poor state I was relieved.

It's a really sad story actually. I wondered whether the guy have lived on the streets a long time that it's gotten to him mentally. May he RIP.

TimofDeath
06-04-2006, 22:12
I read about 3 posts of this thread and then decided to leave. What lovely attitudes we have in Sheffield.

grep
06-04-2006, 23:06
I live and work in the city centre. I find it not uncommon to be asked for money three or four times a day (not including Big Issues sellers). I resent this. I resent that everyday politeness requires that I should respond to them - but I ignore that rule and often simply blank them. I resent that the same people constantly ask me for money - some over a period of years. Sometimes the same person will ask me for money two or three or times in day. I resent that.

Sheffield's image is not helped by having gangs of aggressive beggars filling the streets. There should be a byelaw against begging and regular offenders imprisoned.

o2d2
06-04-2006, 23:12
i always say "im pepped mate"

dont think people know what it means, it seems to work.

or "where did you get them £400 trainers, there very shiny"

Mz_BaBe
07-04-2006, 08:32
After the other night in town when a homeless person came upto me and afew others and was about ot ask for some money 1 of our group decided to ask him for 10p first. the look on the homeless guys face was a treat, but then he got really upset and said 'you really look homeless and i suppose you think thats funny' i know it was cruel but it was really funny at the time :hihi:

So what ways have you got out of being asked for money or even giving homeless people money?

*Ryan*
07-04-2006, 08:34
i say ive got no change with a pocket full of coins :hihi:

Cyclone
07-04-2006, 08:44
I told one to come with me to the burger shop and bought them a burger. It was xmas eve though.

Normally I say no, occasionally I give them a bit of change.

borninsheffield
07-04-2006, 08:45
Depends, when they come up to me it it normall a smack head and I tell them to fuc4 off.

waterfall
07-04-2006, 08:48
1 of our group decided to ask him for 10p first.

I wonder who this was :hihi: :hihi:

StarSparkle
07-04-2006, 09:05
What a load of rubbish! how can you say we 'trolls' are heartless or wotever.. basically.. i dont like people asking me for money.. but everyone does it! probably 5 times a day.. whether it be in a shop and ive bought something.. i give the shop the money as i have got something in return (my goods). etc etc.. or when i pay for a parking ticket, the meter asks me for money... but..

What do i get from giving money to homeless ? What do i actually see ? If one came up to me with a half decent reason, or actually something i though.. **** that guy is talented.. then fine theres a reason for me to give them MY hard earned cash...

But why should we feel it necessary to give our money to them ? They have done nothing for me and probably wont. It may be a selfish attitude but its a dog eat dog world. Im on a budget! I dont want to think when im out.. ok i wont have another drink cus its expensive.. etc... to then think.. oh well if i hadnmt have given my money to that tramp i could afford it!

I'm sorry but i work hard to ensure my money goes as far as it can.. but theres no space in my budget plan for 'beggars'.

This is not to say i am against giving. I own several farm animals in Romania which i bought for a charity setting up a home for the street children. I give to charities.

I DO NOT HAVE TO FEEL BAD BECAUSE I DONT GIVE TO A BEGGAR AT A CASH MACHINE! or a guy outside Tesco with more expensive shoes on than me!
I think that i wouldnt get in that position, but even if i was (or.. if i was stupid enough to get on that slippery slope), i can honestly say that i have the right friendship network who would ensure that i wasnt in it for long!

These people need to get off their arses and actually go and FIND some help. Its too easy for them though.. £8 per hour begging lets say... 12 hours.. = £100 (TAX FREE!!! THATS ANOTHER THING - DONT GET ME STARTED)
= £700 a week... £36,400 a year!! TAX FREE! -
Anyway i hope i have made my point. Also, the people who give to these... urm 'sort' are actually making the problem worse and fueling their drug and alcohol addictions - you should be ashamed of yourselves.

Anyway. RANT OVER.

God, you're all heart, aren't you? :rolleyes:

It's nice to know there's people in the world like you - NOT.

One day you'll find out you can't put a price on everything.

StarSparkle

NEKRO138
07-04-2006, 09:10
I say no. and walk off. Works every time. Especially to Gouranga monks. Tossers.

StarSparkle
07-04-2006, 09:13
After the other night in town when a homeless person came upto me and afew others and was about ot ask for some money 1 of our group decided to ask him for 10p first. the look on the homeless guys face was a treat, but then he got really upset and said 'you really look homeless and i suppose you think thats funny' i know it was cruel but it was really funny at the time :hihi:

You should all be ashamed of yourselves. :nono: Do you feel proud that you've brought a bit more humiliation and misery into the life of someone who's down on their luck, someone who's done nothing to you? It sounds like the homeless person had more dignity than the rest of you put together.

StarSparkle

brummieade
07-04-2006, 09:32
get a job you smack head jobsworth

brummieade
07-04-2006, 09:33
only saying that because i was mugged at knife point by a tramp....

Sheffair1
07-04-2006, 09:51
i stopped giving a ****e about them the day i gave £10 to a woman in a wheelchair - she packed it up and sped off ina merc, i got the number plate and she was charged with deception.

I did however once take a girl in who i knew vaguly - gave her a home and food - you know the basics we allhave around us right now.. for about 3 years she lived with me, never did anything happen between us, and i was single at the time. She used to clean the house - do the shopping, kind of likea housewife but without the status. all her choice i never asked her to do anything but she felt it was her way of earning her keep. She got a job working as a admin assistant with a local radio station.. i got a visit about 6 years later from her, £50,000 a year salary, gorgeous car - she is now the head of programming

Her way of thanking me? £20,000 into my childs trust fund ( and she fixed my roof which i couldn't afford to do just yet , i am man enough to admit i cried infront of her - was the nicest thing anyone had ever done.. i never expected or wanted payment - knowing she got herself sorted was enough for me

So there are lots of bad - but some good who genuinly want a chance at making it themselves.
What a fantastic story !!...should be made into a film. :)

Bago
07-04-2006, 10:03
I live and work in the city centre. I find it not uncommon to be asked for money three or four times a day (not including Big Issues sellers). I resent this. I resent that everyday politeness requires that I should respond to them - but I ignore that rule and often simply blank them. I resent that the same people constantly ask me for money - some over a period of years. Sometimes the same person will ask me for money two or three or times in day. I resent that.

Sheffield's image is not helped by having gangs of aggressive beggars filling the streets. There should be a byelaw against begging and regular offenders imprisoned.

Well, it's obvious that your resentment runs deep. You face them every single day, and obviously you must walk the same path every day too. Which enable you to see them every single day. Or is it because they're in your mind all the time, so that you subconsciously walk to that same spot ? :confused:

I dunno about you, but I don't place such emphasis on it. I'd just walk on by. If someone caught my eye, I'd say, 'no thanks'.

If I recall correctly. There is a law against street begging. So in effect, if you feel that strongly obliged, you can ring up the police and get them removed.

Eddie_shef
07-04-2006, 10:06
I was in Sheffield Kebab house one morning and there was a guy in there hassling me. I was really drunk and when he said "I'm homeless..." i just replied straight away "No your not, I saw you last week and you had a beard" (cause he was clean shaven). He looked so confused he just left me alone. Felling very happy for myself i then dropped my kebab on the floor.. haha no that bits a lie but the rest is true.

Pook
07-04-2006, 10:08
I gave a beggar some crisps once, to which he replied "i don't want chuffing crisps"
I could only think of one thing to say back.

"Beggars can't be choosers". It didn't go down too well.

coolwill2k
07-04-2006, 10:09
I'm concerned people think im a heartless bast*rd.
I think you got the wrong end of the stick.. i meant.. i dont see any result ? Do i see them a week later with a job or food ? No... I dont see it as a wise investment on my part of theirs..
I'm sure my pigs in Romania gave someone a nice meal, or the money i give to the childrens hospital has gone towards saving a small child's life.
(by the way im not point scoring)

I am not aggressive towards homeless. I dont take the pi** out of them. i merely tell them that i am counting my pennies and cant afford to give to them!

Ultimately, how can i tell who the real homeless people are ? There are people who hang around outside Tescos walking on the pavement harrasing EVERY person with a long story about how they are in a difficult situation and how 'ITS NOT YOUR FAULT BUT I'VE GOT NO MONEY.....(Cue the speel)'

This is why i believe giving to charities that HELP homeless people is better than giving to individual homeless people. Do you see the people who ask you for money outside tescos getting hot soup from the van on the Eldon Street car park ???
NO you dont. Cause they are not real homeless people, they are money making people. Its these people who make us all unsure who the real homeless people are.

I would love to chat with you StarSparkle and explain my reasons futher and also listen to your points.. I dont feel my views can be wholey expresse don here.

BasilRathbon
07-04-2006, 10:10
I would only give them money if they can do something entertaining, like play an instrument or juggle or something.

You'd think with all that time on their hands they might bother to learn how to put on a show for their customers, wouldn't you?

AlquarUK
07-04-2006, 11:17
No need to be insulting to them peeps, a simple 'no, sorry' etc would suffice.

I sat down on Xmas eve one year next to a homeless dude who commented on liking my car, and he proceeded to tell me his life story. Absolutely amasing how somebody that has had it so good can have it all turn round and be on the street with very little. quite sad. I offered him a beer (thats what I'd been buying) and he wouldn't accept, although when I went back in and got him some warm food he gratefully accepted. ;)
In reality there is no reason for anyone to be 'homeless' with the shelters provided etc in sheffield, but often its prefered to live 'rough'.

nick2
07-04-2006, 11:24
I gave a beggar some crisps once, to which he replied "i don't want chuffing crisps"
I could only think of one thing to say back.

"Beggars can't be choosers". It didn't go down too well.

LOL

(sorry)

SpiderPete
07-04-2006, 11:36
Well I got to page 3 and decided I had read enough, so time to post, I get asked alot at night after a few drinks down town..... its the "same old faces" some decided to have a shave some dont, they are not homeless I have seen them walk into the flats where I live, probably counting the money they get from the people who give it to them and off to get some booze and drugs.

My response to them when asked is "I spent it all in the pub and no change left" walk past and rattle my pocket full of change.

If they were genuine beggars then I would give them some dosh, but I know the same faces in town on Fridays, Saturdays and sometimes Wednesdays are not beggars at all ....... so there ;)

AtticusFinch
07-04-2006, 11:54
During my first year at uni in 1998 I was stopped by a beggar on Arundel Gate by the junction with Howard Street. As I was from a small market town and didn't really have any experience of beggars at that point, I gave him 50p. I saw him a few times after that and didn't give him any money, but he was still begging.

A few months later though I was in a pub on West Street watching the mancs play in a Champions League game (I think it was against Inter Milan) and I saw him having a drink with a group of mates. He wasn't homeless at all! :o

Rob_1
07-04-2006, 15:10
I would only give them money if they can do something entertaining, like play an instrument or juggle or something.

You'd think with all that time on their hands they might bother to learn how to put on a show for their customers, wouldn't you?

They should set up a drunken tramp circus on fargate. I would definitely give them money to watch them trying to jump through hoops, do comedy falls, juggle tins of special brew and attempt a 14 tramp 'human pyramid' :hihi:

ReginaldD
07-04-2006, 16:05
Have you're headphones in from your mp3, cdplayer or whatever and just carry on walking as if you did'nt see them. They won't ask you as they think you won't hear, I 've done this on the odd occasion although I do feel guilty when I walk past them. When I do give money it is to big issue sellers. I went out on Wednesday night it was about 7pm and I was going through town, to get the 60 to the Fulwood and a bloke asked for some money saying he needed it for the bus (he was a tramp) I didnt give him any but another woman gave him £1. Then after I came out the Leadmill about 2 he was outside the Spar trying to sell weed, people like him really annoy me!!!!!!!

BECK1E
07-04-2006, 16:20
I never give any of them any money, if they want some dosh they should clean them selfs up and work. Not many people have a lot of money, but they still dont begg for a bit on the side to get high with.
Some live in the flats where ma dad used to live, and ive seen them with mobiles better than mine, and nice trainer and that, so there not all to badly off. Oviously i know that not all beggers are false or druggies, but i just say no to all of them just incase - i dont want me cash going in the dealers next gold chain lol!!!

dinp
07-04-2006, 16:49
Is it too much to ask to not be bothered by beggars in the city centre? I gave 20p to someone once, believing them to be a genuine non-beggar and they approached me again a few days later with the same story. He got a right mouthful and has never bothered me since.

Usually i just say ive got no change, or ignore them where possible. All I want is to not to be pestered and it really grinds my gears when they sit next to a cash machine, the reason I go to a bloody cash machine is because I have no money!

Whatif wewin
08-04-2006, 23:55
Has anyone seen the beggars in prague? They are really spooky they kneel prostrate perfectly still in the freezing cold, ice all around them, and hardly get any donations at all weird!

Kthebean
09-04-2006, 06:04
No need to be insulting to them peeps, a simple 'no, sorry' etc would suffice.

I sat down on Xmas eve one year next to a homeless dude who commented on liking my car, and he proceeded to tell me his life story. Absolutely amasing how somebody that has had it so good can have it all turn round and be on the street with very little. quite sad. I offered him a beer (thats what I'd been buying) and he wouldn't accept, although when I went back in and got him some warm food he gratefully accepted. ;)
In reality there is no reason for anyone to be 'homeless' with the shelters provided etc in sheffield, but often its prefered to live 'rough'.

There are lots of problems with homeless shelters - if you're trying to get off drugs they are not the place to be, for example, and there's often a lot of violence and theft.

Big Issue sellers are alright in Sheffield, although every time I go to leeds I buy one at the beginning of the day so I can cut off the speil of the hundreds of others by waving it - "GOT ONE THANKS" and a cheery grin :D

rad
09-04-2006, 13:13
Manchester have boxes that you put money in that go to projects working with genuine homeless so you know whereyuor money is going. As far as I remember, Big Issue selling there is OK, but not any begging. Maybe Sheffield should adopt something similar?

brooksy
09-04-2006, 13:15
Go away beggar?, could work:huh:

ultracynic
09-04-2006, 15:16
My vote goes to outside Tescos on West Street

artstower
09-04-2006, 15:40
Yes Tesco on West Street is a positive hotspot for bogey activity.

The enemy can also frequently lay ambush outside Spar and Lloyd's.

Please do not give them money........ also do not feed the dirty pigeons :rant:

depoix
09-04-2006, 15:51
just say," i only speak english, i do not know where the d w p or social security benefits office is,i have nothing to do with issuing council houses, i can not help you

this should be enough,note,at no time,ever start a sentence with "im sorry.......

andyk68
09-04-2006, 16:12
My vote is my house, some right beggars there.

Prophets21
09-04-2006, 16:31
Tesco & Spar on Ecclesall road.

SallyLaLaLa
09-04-2006, 20:09
Spar on Division St definitely.

artstower
09-04-2006, 21:02
After coming back from any trip abroad, we should all keep some coins of a foreign currency in our pocket/ purse.

Therefore, when the losers ask for spare change, deposit some useless foreign coins in their grubby, work-shy paw! :hihi:

Tipex
10-04-2006, 00:37

I can think of far worst scum than beggars, try prostitutes, they are the lowest of low.

peterdo
10-04-2006, 02:56
Prostitutes work for a living. Not all prostitutes do it just to feed a drug habit.
Don't be so harsh.

o2d2
10-04-2006, 03:25
mattuk, thats a lil harsh dood, like dood before me says, they are at least working. not a nice job for them at all, but to me seems better than begging (at least they are trying <u>something</u:P>).

All people before me trying to be nice to these people. Come on. Most of the beggers you see are lying, they are robbing scum, asking for money with there £1000 trainers, there clothes from UFC, come on... they are scum, iv seen enough of them talking about how they are going to go
"scam some nob heads" - exact wording

i feel sorry for real homeless people, real beggers, i think people lost a lot of heart towards the real homeless/in need people because of the ones most people see day in day out. My paps doesnt believe any of them need to be homeless, and i stand up for true homeless people, because getting out of the situation is near impossible.

real homeless people, i would give all I can to, but you will hardly see these people, shame really.

youwhatref
10-04-2006, 05:16
I can think of far worst scum than beggars, try prostitutes, they are the lowest of low.

But at least they earn the money :D

Why so bitter mate, didn't she swallow :hihi:

naps
10-04-2006, 07:52
I'd say it's close between Spar on Ecclesall Road, and the Tesco on West Street.
However, I reckon the tramps outside the Spar on Ecclesall Road are usually quite friendly as tramps go. The ones outside Tesco Express are just dirty mingin beasts.

Tipex
10-04-2006, 09:00
Thats like saying selling drugs is earning somebody a living, so leave them alone, its wrong.

Jimbob1989
10-04-2006, 10:40
Tesco on Ecclesall Road for me too :)

R_kid
10-04-2006, 11:32
If they are playing the flute or doing some sort of entertainment to earn a bit of money then im all for sorting a homless person out with a spot of cash.

infact the best one yet was the one who came upto me and started body popin! not the best in the world, but he got my vote and about £3

peterw
10-04-2006, 12:03
If a beggar is sitting down I usually take a tenner from his inside pocket and give him a cheque for £15. I think a fiver is a good starting point for my ‘good deed’ for the day.

Roweshow
10-04-2006, 12:09
Tesco on West St. I am constantly being hassled for money outside there, I cant remember the last time I didnt get asked. A few weeks back I was sat in the common room watching the footy and I went to get a paper at half time and some bloke asked me for 40p. I said no, but he called me a ******, followed me into Tescos and said that I had better watch it cos he had been done for armed robbery. Nice one.

crowefan
10-04-2006, 12:42
I just say "no I'm am sorry" and look them right in the eye with a smile

assertive and non aggressive

saz86
10-04-2006, 13:20
look just be nice at end of the day they are PEOPLE and deserve the same as everyone else.
As for the drug dealer issue why not leave them to it i work 50 hours a week for less than £200 i no i could make sh*t loads more selling drugs. Along as the dealers are only selling to adults then trust me people will get drugs from whereva no matter what! :loopy:

depoix
10-04-2006, 14:57
:hihi: :hihi: you get ripped off then ? or what ?:hihi: :hihi:

SGT.PEPPER
10-04-2006, 15:56
Tell them to join the army - they feed you well, pay you to fight and teach you how to keep your clothes clean.

legacye
10-04-2006, 17:38
Tesco on West Street by far - maybe this should have been a vote thread ;) - im not really sure why they have the whole porch there anyway, its just asking for trouble

hmr44
10-04-2006, 17:43
Outside the Cathedral is pretty bad, I work next to it and hate coming out when they're all there! Some can be really offensive - like the famous Gemma!

Love the avatar Legacye!

xx

Rich
10-04-2006, 18:20
I once saw a homeless guy on Fargate, outside the Barclays Bank, felt sorry for him so I went back up to Smiths and bought him a Mars bar, only a normal size one though, as I needed to save bus fare money.

beansforyou
10-04-2006, 18:25
The Peace gardens (as was) was the place to go and view the vagrants on a saturday afternoon.

If you were really lucky, they'd share some of their profound wisdom with you, whilst dribbling bits of white lightening on your sandwich.

*Twinkle*
10-04-2006, 18:26
Tesco's west st, or Budgens in West One... When I used to live at West One, I couldnt even pop to my local shop without being hassled... Argh!

WednesdayMad
10-04-2006, 21:02
The subway under Arundel Gate? Near Flat St. Links Flat St. to The Crucible. The one with nails sticking out of the ceiling.

grownsy
10-04-2006, 21:27
Millmoor.....

grownsy
10-04-2006, 21:27
Millmoor.....
Rotherham is a small town in Sheffield

Joanl
12-04-2006, 12:17
Sorry to say I've noticed a few "begging posts" on here recently as well.:huh:

wheateruk
16-04-2006, 00:37
:hihi: :hihi: you get ripped off then ? or what ?:hihi: :hihi:

bout only thing he got off:rolleyes:

Twiglet
16-04-2006, 08:39

Yes, I'm sure they actually chose to put themselves in the situation where they are regularly beaten and raped by the scum who think it's acceptable to do so :suspect:

tom3t0
17-04-2006, 15:44
to the people who dont give to beggars who have money and dont like the look of poor people on the street (when they have nowhere to go), why dont you offer them work?
believe me it is hard to get a home or job when your homless, for starters you have no address, and cant receive mail, to get a place on the council you need a contact address but they dont bother to tell you until they notify you that "you have been removed from the council register for failing to accept the first property youve been offered." to which you reply what property? oh, the one we didnt tell you about last week. From registering homeless at howden house to getting a flat took over 2months. In them 2 months i started a degree and got a part time job when i got the flat. I always say "alright" or hello when i see homeless people and sometimes have a chat with them, i never give money to them i just tell them "at the end of day im living of about £35 pound a week the other £35 goes on full rent"

Jimbob1989
17-04-2006, 16:54
Same guy asked me on west street last night as did the week before, he's bloody annoying. He follows you down the street telling you this rehersed speach.

x111sam
17-04-2006, 18:21
i went to london a couple of years ago, and a 'scrounger' asked my dad for money, i think the simplest way is to just ignore them

NatalieTan
17-04-2006, 19:02
I always smile at them before they say anything so they dont often ask me, but when ever they've asked my dad if he has any spare change he just replies 'yes thanks' and walks on :D
i cant help but laugh though sometimes i do feel a bit sorry for them

Norton
18-04-2006, 10:32
I don't give to beggars, I once saw one with a better mobile phone than me and very often they have dogs with them.

I buy a Big Issue if I have some change but I'm pretty poor myself. Never had to be anything but polite when responding.

sheffieldism
13-06-2006, 15:00
spurred on from another thread, i wondered how much people give a month to charity or to keep the people on sheffields streets alive (or smacked up).

No poll just wondering how generous we are.

tommo86
13-06-2006, 15:02
have been known to give my taxi money to random homeless people outside Leadmill at 2am, always end up havin drunken chats about life and they get to kip in the hen and chickens for the night, and I walk home along the tram tracks to guide my way.:)

slimsid2000
13-06-2006, 15:03
Absolutely nothing. I don't enjoy their presence in the city and when people give them money it only encourages them to return.

scarby
13-06-2006, 15:17
Roughly about 4p per annum. :)

sheffieldism
13-06-2006, 15:18
nice to hear your views. I personally give some money every now and then to those that look like they need it, i dont want to give money to some fecker who will just blow it on getting f***ed. And i dont give money to the same few people that i have seen round sheff for years, obvioulsy not wanting to get out of the rut they are in.

ninjatoon
13-06-2006, 15:22
Isn't it funny how the same people are always exactly 50p short for their bus fare? Even if you give them a bit of change, they're still always short by the exact same amount.

MickeyBarnes
13-06-2006, 15:25
I can't help feel sorry for them, i remember an interview with Shane McGowen off the pogues. He said he always gave money to tramps, because he never knew if one day, he would be one himself. It kinda got me thinkin, that it could happen to all of us one day.

One way to ensure they aren't goin to spend the money u give them on smack is to buy them some food with it instead. Ask them if they fancy a bar of chocolate. About a month back I handed over my wooly hat i felt so sorry for one poor bugger in the pouring rain.

EmilyJane
13-06-2006, 15:53
I always buy the big issue for more than the cover price in the hope the venfor will buy a cuppa and a sandwich, I don't consider the vendors "tramps" though.

weenireeni
13-06-2006, 16:09
i try and buy a big issue at least once a month, though i never take it, i let them sell it on again.

often after a night out i'll give some change to a homeless person too, though i refuse if theyre sat next to a cash machine, makes me feel intimidated!

shuwarrior51
14-06-2006, 10:59
hate it when they're sat next to cash machines.....

"how the **** am i meant to have "spare change" ********....i just drew a £20 note out"....

i dont give to tramps as im a cold heartless ******* who'd rather spit on them! Seriously i haven't given to tramps since i gave one a chicken sandwich and he threw it on the floor saying
"i dont eat chicken"

"well **** off and starve then you picky *******!!!"

and how they have the cheek to ask for money while smokin a fag is beside me! £4 a day ****** away on fags....yeah nice one. we know why you're homeless dont we...smacktard!

ANGELUS
14-06-2006, 11:21
hate it when they're sat next to cash machines.....

"how the **** am i meant to have "spare change" ********....i just drew a £20 note out"....

i dont give to tramps as im a cold heartless ******* who'd rather spit on them! Seriously i haven't given to tramps since i gave one a chicken sandwich and he threw it on the floor saying
"i dont eat chicken"

"well **** off and starve then you picky *******!!!"

and how they have the cheek to ask for money while smokin a fag is beside me! £4 a day ****** away on fags....yeah nice one. we know why you're homeless dont we...smacktard!

God help you if you ever ended up in their situation.
:roll:

Did the tramp ask you for a sandwich though?
Why didnt you just give them the cash instead and let them buy what they want- they dont want charity feeding from some stranger off the street.

Give them cash so they can buy their own food.

sheffieldism
14-06-2006, 11:24
God help you if you ever ended up in their situation.
:roll:

Did the tramp ask you for a sandwich though?
Why didnt you just give them the cash instead and let them buy what they want- they dont want charity feeding from some stranger off the street.

but they dont buy food do they u fool! thats probably why he offered a sandwich.

BasilRathbon
14-06-2006, 11:26

Such touching naivety. Give a tramp cash and of course food is the first thing he'll spend it on.....:rolleyes:

ANGELUS
14-06-2006, 11:28
but they dont buy food do they u fool! thats probably why he offered a sandwich.

How do you know they dont buy food?
So do you think they are smacked up all the time and dont eat?

Drugs dont keep you alive you know :roll:

ANGELUS
14-06-2006, 11:29
Such touching naivety. Give a tramp cash and of course food is the first thing he'll spend it on.....:rolleyes:

So all they buy is drugs and drink then- is that your opinions?
So- in your deluded minds then, tramps dont eat - they just get smacked up and drink booze.

Genius, absolute genius :roll:
We have some thickets on this forum- thats why I love this forum so much.
It amazes me what people will come up with next.

BasilRathbon
14-06-2006, 11:45
So all they buy is drugs and drink then- is that your opinions?
So- in your deluded minds then, tramps dont eat - they just get smacked up and drink booze.

Genius, absolute genius :roll:
We have some thickets on this forum- thats why I love this forum so much.
It amazes me what people will come up with next.

I do apologise - I was wrong about tramps. They are in fact inspiring role models to us all and I'm sure none of them ever drink or take drugs. I understand exactly that any problems they have in their lives are all society's fault and that they have all ended up on the street through no fault of their own.

In fact, inspired by your post i have just handed in my notice at work and as soon as i can find a nice bit of pavement will be starting my new life as a self-employed tramp. Any donations of sandwiches would be extremely welcome......

sheffieldism
14-06-2006, 11:49
How do you know they dont buy food?
So do you think they are smacked up all the time and dont eat?

Drugs dont keep you alive you know :roll:

i know, thats why alot of them drug addicts dont last long.

But if you give them food, u know your money is not going to waste and you also know your not contributing to their death!

And angelus, most of the tramps ive seen do drink and take drugs, maybe one of the many reasons they are homeless!

you need a reality check matey!

ANGELUS
14-06-2006, 12:27
I do apologise - I was wrong about tramps. They are in fact inspiring role models to us all and I'm sure none of them ever drink or take drugs. I understand exactly that any problems they have in their lives are all society's fault and that they have all ended up on the street through no fault of their own.

In fact, inspired by your post i have just handed in my notice at work and as soon as i can find a nice bit of pavement will be starting my new life as a self-employed tramp. Any donations of sandwiches would be extremely welcome......

I loved that post- :thumbsup:
Sarcasm at its very best- love it :hihi:

You cant be a self-employed tramp though, you'd have to go the whole hog.

ANGELUS
14-06-2006, 12:29
i know, thats why alot of them drug addicts dont last long.

But if you give them food, u know your money is not going to waste and you also know your not contributing to their death!

And angelus, most of the tramps ive seen do drink and take drugs, maybe one of the many reasons they are homeless!

you need a reality check matey!

I'm sure they do drink and take drugs- I dont really care.
The fact of the matter is that tramps have to eat something sometime, so why not give them cash and let them pick what they want to eat rather than give them something (chicken sandwich) they may not like.

If you give them cash, sure- they might spend it on drugs and booze- however I'm sure they will also buy food to feed themselves as well, and I think they would rather have the fact that they have been given cash to spend as a human being being rather than fed like an animal dont you?

Ditz
14-06-2006, 12:54
I have to say, that for once Angelus, I agree with you. Yes, most homeless people will spend it on drugs and drink, but they will also buy food as well. Not all homeless people are druggies! some are real, genuine people who have managed to make themselves homeless.
No one ever chooses to be homeless and I agree that you should just give them money as it is already degrading enough having to beg and then someone chucking food at you like your an animal.

Agent Orange
14-06-2006, 12:56
As far as I'm aware these tramp types get fed at the Salvation Army hostel and I do believe there is soup kitchen at the Cathedral as well. It's not like they aren't getting fed. Saying that, as I work almost next door to the Salvation Army hostel, I often see them congregating on the benches outside drinking cheap cider and shouting obscenities to anyone who dares cross them.

shuwarrior51
14-06-2006, 13:59
If you give them cash, sure- they might spend it on drugs and booze- however I'm sure they will also buy food to feed themselves as well, and I think they would rather have the fact that they have been given cash to spend as a human being being rather than fed like an animal dont you?

I dont give a ****! Beg like an animal, get fed like one. tough tits im afraid!

Theres a saying you seem to have forgot.

"beggars can't be choosers".

and do you know why? Because they'd starve. If you ARE unfortunate enough (through whatever circumstances) to be reduced to having to beg on the streets to get by. i seriously doubt you'd give a **** what filling was in your sandwich.

maybe i should have gone back and offered him a fine selection of condiments and a wine menu? maybe given him multiple choice...?

or maybe i could have saved myself the £1.99 and told him to **** off?

tommo86
14-06-2006, 14:06
[QUOTE=ANGELUS]I'm sure they do drink and take drugs- I dont really care.
The fact of the matter is that tramps have to eat something sometime, so why not give them cash and let them pick what they want to eat rather than give them something (chicken sandwich) they may not like.

Do they look as if they care what they eat?

beggars cant be choosers matey

sheffieldism
14-06-2006, 14:06

and do you know why? Because they'd starve. If you ARE unfortunate enough (through whatever circumstances) to be reduced to having to beg on the streets to get by. i seriously doubt you'd give a **** what filling was in your sandwich.

maybe i should have gone back and offered him a fine selection of condiments and a wine menu? maybe given him multiple choice...?

well said fella, that definately sums up this discussion

"beggars cant be choosers"

ANGELUS
14-06-2006, 14:13

Good god man!
Why dont you just make them do tricks like an animal for the cash while you are at it.

God forbid you are ever that close to the streets.

Dont give them food- you dont have to take away their dignity even more, give them the cash so they can actual feel like a human being.

I like the last bit about the wine menu and the condiments though :hihi:

ANGELUS
14-06-2006, 14:15
[QUOTE=ANGELUS]I'm sure they do drink and take drugs- I dont really care.

Do they look as if they care what they eat?

beggars cant be choosers matey

Just because they are out on the streets does not mean they are less human than us all- we all have dislikes and likes, if the bloke didnt like chicken the bloke didnt like chicken.

I wouldnt be force fed something as well I didnt like.. so lets give them some cash to make up their own minds eh!