View Full Version : Snooker Halls

PopT
21-04-2004, 21:49
When I was a young 'lary' in Sheffield I spent nights in the snooker halls. Mis-spent youth do I hear?

In those days they were very much places for men and the game was taken very seriously.

They were very popular and I'm sure some of you have some great stories or recollections of these places.

mikey
22-04-2004, 15:14
Yeah spent a few months of my life in Langtons on Heeley Bottom, used to bunk of school for a few games.

redblade
25-04-2004, 22:03
There used to be a snooker hall next to the Hillsboro Park Cinema on Catch Bar Lane S6. In the 1950s and 60s it was patronised so frequently by virtually all the professional footballers from the nearby club , that it was know locally as Wednesday's Training Ground.

Timbuck
26-04-2004, 10:12
The one I used to go to was up above Shiregreen Reading Rooms
opposite the Shiregreen Methodist Chapel..I was playing Snooker there when I should have been going to Nightschool ...More mis-spent youth...It's all gone now.

rarstar
26-04-2004, 11:23
Langtons on Heeley Bottom

Is that where Potter's is now?
We go there sometimes, it's a bit dillapidated - still has pictures of higgins and thorbourne etc painted on the wall.

Good place though.

deadgobby
27-05-2004, 06:36
Originally posted by redblade
There used to be a snooker hall next to the Hillsboro Park Cinema on Catch Bar Lane S6. In the 1950s and 60s it was patronised so frequently by virtually all the professional footballers from the nearby club , that it was know locally as Wednesday's Training Ground. put lights on 13 pop n a bottle of vimto, remember the old blokes playing chase the green ... and golf i think they called it white on red yellow on green brown on blue .....round all the pockets....spoof do they still play that ? then round the corner for a meat n tater pie with hendersons necter.....then long walk home in the snow or ******* rain

tonyland
18-08-2004, 12:30
Does anyone remember the snooker hall under the Abbeydale Cinema, which I thought in those days was the ultimate.

15 years old, thinking you were 18, and smoking a packet of Woodbines. Yugh !!.

kingfisher
18-08-2004, 13:58
There was a snooker hall under the Manor Cinema as well,we used to go in there for a penny bash (4 of us one penny each)if you hit the cue ball hard enough it might just make it to the bottom of the table and back
Most of Burton the Tailors shops had a snooker hall over the stores as well

Greybeard
18-08-2004, 22:04
Originally posted by tonyland
Does anyone remember the snooker hall under the Abbeydale Cinema, which I thought in those days was the ultimate.

We used to call in there on the way home from school sometimes and the one on the corner of Broadfield Road [I think the one Mikey refers to above].

Would have been 1954/55.

peterw
16-02-2006, 19:50
There was also a snooker hall over a block of shops on Ecclesall Road. I think it was owned by Joe Davis who was world champion at both billiards and snooker for many years. I believe he came from Chesterfield. He also had a brother who was quite good too!

peterw
16-02-2006, 19:54
Just a thought. The abovementioned snooker hall, after the war we used to play ‘golf’ on the snooker tables there. When I came to Manchester nobody had ever heard of ‘golf’ so I suspect it might have been one of Sheffield’s own games. Is it still played today, and if not why? It was a good game that lasted much longer than a game of snooker!

CHAIRBOY
16-02-2006, 19:54
Is that where Potter's is now?

Potters Snooker Club was on Gleadless Road and was burnt down about a year ago. I think apartments are to be built on the site.

peterdo
17-02-2006, 01:04
Used to go in the one at Manor Top on the way home from school, Hurlfield Boys. There was one near the Empire that we went to after night school at Pond St college, but can't remember the name.

ukdobby
17-02-2006, 11:16
Remember Faulkners on Cambridge st,there was a long haired skinny guy always on 1st table taking money off the others,talk about passive smoking,it must have been closed at least 10 years.

CHAIRBOY
17-02-2006, 12:28
I think it was owned by Joe Davis who was world champion at both billiards and snooker for many years. I believe he came from Chesterfield. He also had a brother who was quite good too!

Yes PW the Davis's did come from Chesterfield and the brother of Joe was called Fred who, as you say, was a good player and graced the World Championships at The Crucible. He was a popular and affable man.

tinker
17-02-2006, 15:46
We used to call in there on the way home from school sometimes and the one on the corner of Broadfield Road [I think the one Mikey refers to above].

Would have been 1954/55. i think the snooker hall mikey refers to in langtons was different to the one at corner of broadfield road that one was at the very bottom on the corner right hand side looking up ,my mate at school used to live there , later on in the late 60s it was then a prize bingo hall .

melthebell
17-02-2006, 18:34
isnt / wasnt one down the whicker?
ive heard people mention one but never been

ive always been too crap at snooker to play it :P

tinker
17-02-2006, 18:39
isnt / wasnt one down the whicker?
ive heard people mention one but never been

ive always been too crap at snooker to play it :P i think you might be thinking of a boozer down in the wicker the left hand side across from studio 7 was it had a full size table in

melthebell
17-02-2006, 18:50
nah im sure theres a proper snooker club, or was
further down attercliffe
cant remmeber the name tho

left hand side as you come from sheffield

pk014b7161
18-02-2006, 16:49
i can remember faulkners also burgeses on burges street used to go in the late 60,s

sweetdexter
18-02-2006, 23:26
There used to be a snooker hall at Hillsborough Corner above what was shops.
It now is the corner that backs onto the weir ,where the bus stop is.
It is hard to imagine there was once 6 shops and a snooker hall above it .
Hardly seems room enough

Falls
18-02-2006, 23:59
Re. comments by Melthibell/Tinker

Yes, There was a billiard hall in the Wicker.

There was a company you might remember, called Fitzpatrick and Longley (F & L). They were one of several companies that sold all the the gear for billiard and snooker halls. I think they also did repairs.

Their office and showroom was in a funny building right at Lady's Bridge, above where the bank used to be, and where Nursery Street starts. There was also a billard hall in the same building but I'm not sure if F & L operated it.

I grew up in the Wicker area but the hall was "off-limits" to me, as far as my dad was concerned. I did; however, go in a few times. Never felt comfortable playing there.

The Pub with the full size table was the Station Hotel, next to the Arches. The Viaduct Hotel was opposite the Wicker Pictures but don't think they had one. Don't know of any other pubs down there that had full-size tables. That's my recollection from a long time ago and things may have changed.

Most of my playing was in the 50s in downtown Rotherham: The hall above Burtons, corner of Wellgate (?) and High Street. Opposite Marks and Spencer. Long lunchtime games when we should have been back at the Tech.

Transcom1
27-02-2006, 20:38
faulkners burnt down many years ago.

PhilipB
27-02-2006, 20:55
Used to go in the one at Manor Top on the way home from school, Hurlfield Boys. There was one near the Empire that we went to after night school at Pond St college, but can't remember the name.

Same here Peter. Good stopping off point on the way to the bus stop.
Plus a good place to skive off on a Friday afternoon.
When you go to Hurlfield Pete? I left in 66.
As I recall most of the tables were patched up with sellotape and glue, nearly
all the cues were bent and occasionally you got a ball that didn't have a chip out of it.
Happy days.

peterdo
27-02-2006, 22:57
I was a bit before your time. I left in 1957.

mickr
01-03-2006, 20:19
Does anyone remember the one over the Boots Chemists at the corner of Worksop Road and Attercliffe Road - had two floors. The caretakers at different times were quite the characters too. There was one huge old guy called 'old hobe' around 1960 - just sat in his chair at the door and took your money with a dirty look. There was an older couple there after him - the guy's name was Harry but can't remember the gal's. They used to have frequent, very public rows bordering on fisticuffs at times. When the place was quiet some wag would shout 'Harry - have a row'

valleyhill
19-09-2007, 20:53
Remember Faulkners on Cambridge st,there was a long haired skinny guy always on 1st table taking money off the others,talk about passive smoking,it must have been closed at least 10 years.

I'm guessing you're talking about John Young, one of the many colourful characters who boosted their finances at Faulkner's Billiard Hall in the 'good old days' :)

Other regulars and useful players I remember from those days in no particular order: Ralph Goodman (son of Barney Goodman the tailor I think), Barry Rennison, Charlie Butler, Keith Littlewood, Freddie Fairfax, 'German' Mick 'Claudgen', David Hall (with silver coloured cue).

I'm a friend of a member of the Faulkner family so I may be able to come up with some more names...but if anyone has any news of any of the above please post?

Fudbeer
19-09-2007, 20:58
nah im sure theres a proper snooker club, or was
further down attercliffe
cant remmeber the name tho

left hand side as you come from sheffield

Your thinking of Top Spot Snooker club.

Spent many an hour in their was a top place at one time quite upmarket.

I remember seeing alex higgins there before he went (late) to play his match at the crucible against cliff thorbourn I think

I seem to remember going back years later and it had gone down hill

Floridablade
19-09-2007, 21:38
I used the one on London Rd, spent many happy hours playing snooker, chase the green, skittles, golf, Russian pool. I played for Arnie's Washington Arms who we all called cripple, legend has it he was crippled playing for Wolves. Joe and Fred Davis came from the Chesterfield area and their parents ran a hotel/pub which of course gave them access to a table.

Joe was very meticulous, he practiced for hours just on one shot until he was satisfied. Golfers are known for their fussy behaviour when on the tee but Joe was something else. He played my father who was Yorkshire billiards Champ one year but Joe just wiped the floor with him. my highest break was 86 playing in the Courage knock out tournament, young White and his pal, can't remember his name but they both played in the courage, White was 16 years old and it was rumoured he could neither read nor write.

Probably the best player in Sheffield in the late 40s early 50s was a bus driver named Zeffers or some such name.

Darkoak
19-09-2007, 22:12
Remember John Young on the table when I risked permanent lung damage on visiting Faulkners!

Preferred the 'up-market' place owned by Mike Watterson on West Street above The Limit. Spent many an hour trying to take money off the likes of Andy and Dave Johnson, Vince Ciccarella, Barry White (now a referee?), Kevin Garrett, Alan 'Wilf' Brocklehurst, Nick Reaney, Ken (the licensee).

Anyone know what the above are up to nowadays?

jetpro99
20-09-2007, 08:45
This thread brings back many memories for me. My Dad used to work for a company called Greenwood Simpsons who owned a few halls around Sheffield including the one at Hillsborough and those at Burgess St and Cambridge Street (Faulkners). He subsequently purchased Faulkners from the company and I can confirm that it burnt down many years ago.

I remember all those mentioned and have spent many a happy hour in Faulkners eating my sausage and chip sandwich (from the Picolo cafe below) and playing Chase the Green, Golf, Cricket as well as snooker and billiards.

Happy days indeed.

darra
20-09-2007, 08:49
Remember Faulkners and seeing many men leaving in fear on a Friday night having lost their pay packet and wondering what the wife was going to say.

hillsbro
20-09-2007, 09:29
There used to be a snooker hall next to the Hillsboro Park Cinema on Catch Bar Lane S6. In the 1950s and 60s it was patronised so frequently by virtually all the professional footballers from the nearby club , that it was know locally as Wednesday's Training Ground.

Yes indeed; I mis-spent some of my youth in the same snooker hall, and I remember once seeing there Ron Starling (captain of Wednesday's F.A. cup-winning team of 1935 - he had a newsagent's shop on Middlewood Road) coaching some younger players in a different kind of sport!

Arfer Mo
20-09-2007, 11:44
I'm guessing you're talking about John Young, one of the many colourful characters who boosted their finances at Faulkner's Billiard Hall in the 'good old days' :)

Other regulars and useful players I remember from those days in no particular order: Ralph Goodman (son of Barney Goodman the tailor I think), Barry Rennison, Charlie Butler, Keith Littlewood, Freddie Fairfax, 'German' Mick 'Claudgen', David Hall (with silver coloured cue).

I'm a friend of a member of the Faulkner family so I may be able to come up with some more names...but if anyone has any news of any of the above please post?Hi I knew some of the names you mentioned , Ralph Goodman was a big pal of a pal of mine Charlie Carter known as spike! he took me to see Ralph when it was Barney's day off we went behind a screen and I came out with a Saville Row suit & Crombie coat for 40£, and a receipt , I was in the Hall when Ralph and Maurice Newman was playing for £100, Ralph won! I was playing chase the green, it was Sunday am [I was late for the yorkshire pud] had potted the green and the yellow was on for a win ,got the pot and the white came off the cushion and touched a red, Ilost, threw the cue to the floor it broke ,7/6 to pay , no dinner! What a day, but wish Icould live those days again cheers Arthur.

Lee James
20-09-2007, 14:38
I used the one on London Rd, spent many happy hours playing snooker, chase the green, skittles, golf, Russian pool. I played for Arnie's Washington Arms who we all called cripple, legend has it he was crippled playing for Wolves. Joe and Fred Davis came from the Chesterfield area and their parents ran a hotel/pub which of course gave them access to a table.

Joe was very meticulous, he practiced for hours just on one shot until he was satisfied. Golfers are known for their fussy behaviour when on the tee but Joe was something else. He played my father who was Yorkshire billiards Champ one year but Joe just wiped the floor with him. my highest break was 86 playing in the Courage knock out tournament, young White and his pal, can't remember his name but they both played in the courage, White was 16 years old and it was rumoured he could neither read nor write.

Probably the best player in Sheffield in the late 40s early 50s was a bus driver named Zeffers or some such name.

I think the guy you're referring to was Jack Seffers, a top player in his time i believe!

Lee James
20-09-2007, 14:41
Remember John Young on the table when I risked permanent lung damage on visiting Faulkners!

Preferred the 'up-market' place owned by Mike Watterson on West Street above The Limit. Spent many an hour trying to take money off the likes of Andy and Dave Johnson, Vince Ciccarella, Barry White (now a referee?), Kevin Garrett, Alan 'Wilf' Brocklehurst, Nick Reaney, Ken (the licensee).

Woh! Nick Reaney! or Nick 'the greek' Reaney as he was sometimes affectionately known. Nick was a good cue maker and had a little place just under Langtons snooker centre on Queens Road but he left about 15 years ago.

Joanl
20-09-2007, 15:02
I used to live almost opposite the Snooker Hole on Newhall Road.....used to hate walking past it and it just looked like some mysterious den of iniquity that stunk of cigarette smoke.
This was pre '61.

jiginc
20-09-2007, 17:46

15 years old, thinking you were 18, and smoking a packet of Woodbines. Yugh !!.

Yes and it's still in open. I was in it about two months ago. It's in what was the ball room the origional snooker hall is now a night club.

frenchfrie
20-09-2007, 18:20
Preferred the 'up-market' place owned by Mike Watterson on West Street above The Limit. Ken (the licensee).

I remember Ken very well. Played in the Sheffield Works Leagues in the early / mid 80s at West street but then recall that Ken transferred down as manager/licensee to the snooker rooms above the Mucky Duck - think where the laser quest place is now. If he's still around - a top bloke and great snooker player

lakerman
20-09-2007, 19:12
I've just been reading some of the posts regarding snooker halls and some of the old players etc. I lost my first weeks wages in Burgess Street billiard hall (1962) and I never learned a lesson from the experience, Still I've got some happy memories nevertheless. An old mate of mine, Pete Brearley (now sadly passed on), used to play Ralph Goodman for money in 1960's and beat him most times, Pete was a great player who emigrated to Canada and he used to hustle at pool over there. Some of the other names mentioned bring back memories too. Barry Rennison is still around and still playing I believe. Keith Littlewood has a stall at the top of Dixon Lane selling odds and sods. I don't think he plays these days. Barry White was a great billiards player as well as snooker. The last time I saw him he was refereeing. Jack Seffers was a great fella. I played hours and hours with him in Firth Park W.M.C. and also with his mate Ken Phelan. When I first started playing Ken would give me 100 start over two frames aggregate. We would play for a shilling. As I got better, Ken dropped the amount of start I got.
My first experience of snooker halls came about 1960 when my school mate asked me if I wanted to go to the hall at Catch Bar Lane. His grandad was the caretaker there and he used to let us in and play for nothing as long as we kept quiet and played on a table in the far corner of the hall. I saw some great players in there.When my mother found out she went berserk and made me stop in the house for a week. As I say, happy memories. I could go on about old players all night. It would be nice to hear from others about their recollections.

jetpro99
20-09-2007, 19:21
I remember Pete Brearley - a good player - sorry to hear that he has passed on.

Other names that may rekindle memories - Ernest Wooley, Tony Shortland, Ray Ruff, Graham Benson. Stan Barber

lakerman
20-09-2007, 19:45
Hello jetpro99, I know Tony Shortland. He's an old friend from way back (schooldays). I see him from time to time. He calls in my club for a drink now and again. He lives at Harley near Elsecar/Hoyland Common these days. He doesn't play snooker though.

jetpro99
20-09-2007, 21:20
Hi Lakerman, in those days I think Tony lived at Shiregreen and I seem to remember him saying that he would like to open a snooker hall himself.

Floridablade
20-09-2007, 21:29
Seffers had one big fault, he would smash the balls into the pocket when he didn't need to but he got away with it a lot because of his accuracy. I played him a few times in the transport canteen in town and nearly always lost but one day he said I'll give you 2 blacks and play for a ten bob note. By sheer luck I put the last red behind the black on it's spot and the cue ball behind the green also on it's spot. I got 35 points from that snooker with free balls etc. and was he livid but never showed it, good bloke.

Arfer Mo
21-09-2007, 08:33

Probably the best player in Sheffield in the late 40s early 50s was a bus driver named Zeffers or some such name.Hi Floridablade I frequented the EARL in those yrs and was 1st reserve,got my chance to play once and it was with Jack Seffers, he gave me 3 blacks I had an early 36 break played safe and won, it was the only time, and also the only time the E AASurrey beat the S.C.Transport. RE; Arnie at the Washington apal of mine's wife worked for him till she saw him having a pea in the sink under the bar. Cheers Arthur.

Floridablade
21-09-2007, 10:45
Yes that was Arnie didn't give a monkeys for anybody. I was refereeing a match one night Arnie had a big bet on against one of his bar flys and Arnie moved the blue out of the way so he could get at an easy red while the bloke wasn't looking at the same time telling the waiter to get me a drink. The room was full so all eyes were on me, what to do, so I called foul, 5 points, Arnie threw his cue onto the table and went to the till to pay the bloke. But you couldn't help but like him, he called everybody Love and quite often gave regulars a free evening in the back room.

nuromantic
21-09-2007, 11:30
I used to spend most Saturdays in Faulkeners through the 80s. I thought that the place was owned and run by the old guy George, who I assumed to be George Faulkener? Probably wrong there then?

Anyway - what I do remember vividly, is the shockingly bad flooring, the rubbish on the floor, the poor lighting, the cigarrette smoke, the freezing cold temperatures in winter, and the amazingly poor selection of refreshments. I also recall coal/wood fires lit in the odd fireplace scattered around the place, and the old feller George standing up to the ruffians when anything started to kick off. Fearless!

Rumour had it at the time (again undoubtedly unfounded) that the fire was an insurance job. Even more spurious was the rumour that Georges daughter (who sometimes worked their) was behind it!

I have very fond memories of the place. A total sh**thole, but we loved it.

alex3659
21-09-2007, 11:34
I remember Pete Brearley - a good player - sorry to hear that he has passed on.

Other names that may rekindle memories - Ernest Wooley, Tony Shortland, Ray Ruff, Graham Benson. Stan Barber

do you remember jimmy lee ,vic darbyshire ,staffy brittle and ted hill saddly all passed away now but all good players.

Arfer Mo
21-09-2007, 12:54
i can remember faulkners also burgeses on burges street used to go in the late 60,s
Hi pk0 used to go in there late 30ties in my dinner1/2 hour,eat our pack up have a game and back to work on time, Arthur.

jetpro99
21-09-2007, 13:12
do you remember jimmy lee ,vic darbyshire ,staffy brittle and ted hill saddly all passed away now but all good players.

I remember Vic Darbyshire and Ted Hill vaguely but the other names do not ring any bells

jetpro99
21-09-2007, 13:17
I used to spend most Saturdays in Faulkeners through the 80s. I thought that the place was owned and run by the old guy George, who I assumed to be George Faulkener? Probably wrong there then?

Anyway - what I do remember vividly, is the shockingly bad flooring, the rubbish on the floor, the poor lighting, the cigarrette smoke, the freezing cold temperatures in winter, and the amazingly poor selection of refreshments. I also recall coal/wood fires lit in the odd fireplace scattered around the place, and the old feller George standing up to the ruffians when anything started to kick off. Fearless!

Rumour had it at the time (again undoubtedly unfounded) that the fire was an insurance job. Even more spurious was the rumour that Georges daughter (who sometimes worked their) was behind it!

I have very fond memories of the place. A total sh**thole, but we loved it.

Your recollection of the decor is pretty accurate and the owner was George Faulkner but the fire was started in the restaurant below the hall which was the old Gilders Volkswagen showroom.
It was very atmospheric in there and a great place to be despite its shortcomings.

Floridablade
22-09-2007, 13:33
In New York they call a fire like that " Jewish Lightening " and in case somebody thinks I'm racist it was a Jew friend of mine from New York who told me.

nuromantic
22-09-2007, 19:37
You know what - I can remember the inside of Faulkeners vividly...but I can't remember what was underneath it, downstairs.

I'd love to see a photo of the old building if anyone has one. Highly unlikely that anyone would have taken any pictures inside!

Arfer Mo
22-09-2007, 21:23
Yes that was Arnie didn't give a monkeys for anybody. I was refereeing a match one night Arnie had a big bet on against one of his bar flys and Arnie moved the blue out of the way so he could get at an easy red while the bloke wasn't looking at the same time telling the waiter to get me a drink. The room was full so all eyes were on me, what to do, so I called foul, 5 points, Arnie threw his cue onto the table and went to the till to pay the bloke. But you couldn't help but like him, he called everybody Love and quite often gave regulars a free evening in the back room.HI Do you remember the barmaid in those days her name was Dolly and lived next door to the pub , ARTHUR

lakerman
22-09-2007, 22:14
I knew Vic Darbyshire very well. He was a good player and a lovely bloke.
Staffy Brittle was an excellent player.He played in a few invitation tournaments at Firth Park W.M.C. in the 60's and 70's. He would play anywhere for a packet of Woodbines and a couple of halves of bitter.

Floridablade
22-09-2007, 22:24
Yes and the waiter who lived on Franklin St. they called him the singing waiter and Arnie entered him in the Star Walk. Arnie made him train walking round the snooker table, never a dull moment. Arnie covered the table over on Saturday and a load of Queers would do a show, hilarious.

Floridablade
22-09-2007, 22:28
Arthur, Do you remember Brian Nicholson, big lad, a natural talent could play any sport or game. Played dominoes in the bar on Sundays.