Xbox 360 to get a web browser?

Topic.

One of the things to come out of last week's E3 event, was that Xbox 360 is to get a custom version of Internet Explorer to allow 360 users to browse the Internet.

Anyone think it will work? Or be a big fat FLOP?! Personally, due to the lack of a keyboard and/or mouse for Xbox I don't think browsing on Xbox will work very well, I mean yeah I know you can probably plug a cheap USB keyboard and mouse in, but it still wouldn't be as good as on a PC IMO.

Also, remember about 10 years ago when the Sega Dreamcast had limited online capabilities? It was good for what it was, but you couldn't access the full web, only Sega's own content.

Thoughts anyone? And yes before the Sony zealots start I know all about PS3 being able to go online and that it's "free"! Xbox Live still kicks several shades of crap out of PSN so yeh.

Topic.

One of the things to come out of last week's E3 event, was that Xbox 360 is to get a custom version of Internet Explorer to allow 360 users to browse the Internet.

Anyone think it will work? Or be a big fat FLOP?! Personally, due to the lack of a keyboard and/or mouse for Xbox I don't think browsing on Xbox will work very well, I mean yeah I know you can probably plug a cheap USB keyboard and mouse in, but it still wouldn't be as good as on a PC IMO.

Also, remember about 10 years ago when the Sega Dreamcast had limited online capabilities? It was good for what it was, but you couldn't access the full web, only Sega's own content.

Thoughts anyone? And yes before the Sony zealots start I know all about PS3 being able to go online and that it's "free"! Xbox Live still kicks several shades of crap out of PSN so yeh.

Yaaaaaawn!!!

The dreamcast had full Internet access not just sega stuff

The wii Ds psp and ps3 have had browsers forever.

It's ie so will blow.

Playstation is better than suXBox.

Yaaaaawn.

You're like 35-6 and still go on about zealots grow up and stop acting like a ten year old.

Edited by denomis

The xbox browser looks like it could be ok. Its going to be controled by kinnect and the new smart glass feature so it be more user friendly than other console browsers.

Topic.

dug himself another hole again ant he :hihi:

tbh, games console should be left for playing games. they arnt made for web browsing, which is probs why the ps3 browser sucks so much.

the nintendo wii browser and DS browser also suck.

and just because xbox is having IE, that dunt mean it will work like you expect it too. i expect it to be just a crap as the ps3, wii and DS browers.

there you go rich, my honest opinion, no fanboyism talk used :thumbsup:

The xbox browser looks like it could be ok. Its going to be controled by kinnect and the new smart glass feature so it be more user friendly than other console browsers.

Might be OK then, especially if it's free.

Might be OK then, especially if it's free.

The app will be "free" but only for gold members to use :loopy:

The app will be "free" but only for gold members to use :loopy:

Stop trolling, what's :loopy: about Xbox Live Gold accounts? I happen to have one.

£35 a year's quite good value actually for all the downloads and online gaming.

I know that you will now bleat about PSN being free, but you do realise that a top of the range PS3 with the big hard drive is nearly double the price of an equivalent spec Xbox with Kinect sensor.

?.. but you do realise that a top of the range PS3 with the big hard drive is nearly double the price of an equivalent spec Xbox with Kinect sensor.

ps3 with 320gb hard drive = £249

Xbox 360 with 250gb and kinect = £239

(prices from Game website)

Yeah, double!

You do talk some rot at times Rich.

I believe the 'loopy' that demonis was making was down to it not really being a 'free' browser if you need to be on Gold to use it. Same as cloud storage on PS3 is only 'free' if you 'pay' for plus....ie. not free.

Exactly my point. Take sky for example my sky subscription let's me watch sky free on ipad-pc-phone etc for free but to use it on Xbox you have be gold. The free apps are not free.

Stop trolling, what's :loopy: about Xbox Live Gold accounts? I happen to have one.

£35 a year's quite good value actually for all the downloads and online gaming.

I know that you will now bleat about PSN being free, but you do realise that a top of the range PS3 with the big hard drive is nearly double the price of an equivalent spec Xbox with Kinect sensor.

Ah but the look and feel of a ps3 is pure quality, especialy the original ps3 in piano black.

well, the 360 has a keyboard (the mini one you can plug into the bottom of the controller) or plugging in any standard USB keyboard works also..

as for a mouse, it's not difficult to just use one of the analogue sticks to move a cursor around the screen...